Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cutting for Stone



I have not read a book like this in a long long time - it is simply brilliant!  I found it impossible to put the book down - just wanted to keep reading it to know what happens next.  Along the way, I learnt a lot about human relationships, family ties,  trust... political events in Ethiopia's history... medicine, life of doctors in general.  It is the only book so far that my book club buddies wanted to discuss over two book club sessions - one simply wasn't enough.  The characters that Abraham Verghese creates, sort of linger in your mind long after the you have finished reading the book.   I feel I identified with it more because of the references to Indian culture throughout, but everyone I know just loved the book regardless.  I feel very  inadequate writing my review because my skills seem so limited when trying to praise the writer whose prose is so eloquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment