Saturday, September 17, 2011

How to avoid mold in your home.

Guest Blog by Greg Mason 
With tropical Storm Lee stalling over the Northeast after Hurricane Irene a week earlier, many homes up & down the east coast have been exposed to excessive moisture and water, which could lead to mold growth if not handled properly.
In their effort to raise awareness, the U.S Environmental Protection Agency dedicates the month of September as National Indoor Mold Awareness Month. To help insure a healthy home, you may want to follow these tips from Certainteed, a building products manufacturer whose headquarters are right here in Pennsylvania.

Fix leaks. Homeowners should check for leaky roofs, foundations, faucets and pipes on a regular basis, making sure they aren’t allowing extra moisture to accumulate in these areas. Leaks should be fixed as soon as they are found.

Keep humidity under control. The ideal humidity for a home is between 30 and 50 percent. Relative humidity can be measured with an inexpensive moisture or humidity meter, available at most hardware stores. Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners, especially in hot humid climates to help reduce moisture in the air.

Keep it dry. Homeowners should clean and dry any damp furnishings within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth.

Check for odors. If you have had a leak, then the first sign of mold may be musty or moldy odors in the vicinity of the leak. Keep in mind you do not want to sniff for mold or touch for mold –– if you suspect a mold problem contact a certified mold inspector.

Watch for ground water. Checking the exterior of homes regularly will help avoid the accumulation of ground water, which can cause mold. If found, homeowners should route water away using downspouts and re-grade to slope water away from the home.

In Basements. Pay close attention to carpet on concrete floors. Carpet can absorb moisture and serve as a place for mold to grow.

In Bathrooms and Kitchens. Keep a window or door open to help minimize on moisture build-up. Exhaust or vent fans do a great job of removing moisture to the outside.

Guest Blog by
Greg Mason
First Choice Loan Services Inc.
A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of First Choice Bank
NMLS# 324435

No comments:

Post a Comment