Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon




Complex plot with multiple layers, wonderful characters, sweeping vistas of the city of Barcelona in the 50s - language simple enough to understand but with a complexity that reveals many subtle nuances, a mystery, a love story, coming of age story, a gothic novel ...  I am no writer so I cannot express any better - but I will say, I could not put the book down. 

I was rooting for the characters, thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns in the plot  and was hoping for a climax that would not disappoint (like many mysteries that fall flat towards the end) - and it did not! 

Incredible storytelling and complex thoughts - book is full of eloquent prose such as 
"... a deafening silence that I had not yet learned to stifle with words."
"...Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it."
There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite."
I would definitely like to go back and reflect further on some of these - may seem grandiose and fake if I scrutinized them closely - but made for fantastic reading otherwise.  

The philosophical insights of Fermin - my favorite character in the book made me laugh!  I was horrified by the dark twists in the plot,  intrigued by the descriptions (many creative expressions of a "dark and stormy night") and moved to tears and sighed over unrequited love.

Highly recommend! Read it and let me know what you think.

Some other reviews on books I have read

No comments:

Post a Comment